This ongoing series examines some of the key, exciting players in Boston’s emerging Big Data arena. The companies I’m highlighting differ in growth stages, target markets and revenue models, but converge around their belief that the data is the castle, and their tools the keys. You can read about the first five companies here.
- Product: Nasuni is an cloud enterprise storage system. Their Nasuni Filers propagate data from a local disk cache to cloud storage, essentially giving users a unified file share in the cloud that doesn’t require replication of file servers.
- Founder: Andres Rodriguez
- Technologies used: on-premise storage, UniFS™ file system, VMs, cloud storage
- Target Industries: Manufacturing, Construction, Legal, Education
- Location: Natick, MA
- Product: VoltDB is an in-memory relational database designed to handle millions of operations per second (125k TPS per commodity server) with near-perfect fault tolerance and automatic scale-out. It has three flavors—an Enterprise, startup/ISV, and community edition.
- Founder: Michael Stonebraker (ln)
- Technologies used: in-memory DBMS, OLTP, ACID, SQL
- Target industries: Capital Markets, Digital Advertising, Online Games, Network Services
- Location: Billerica, MA
8 ) Lexalytics
- Product: Salience is a text and sentiment analysis engine that integrates into its users’ existing BI, social media monitoring, CRM, automated trading and customer satisfaction systems.
- Founders: Jeff Catlin (ln), Mike Marshall
- Technologies used: natural language processing, sentiment analysis, named entity extraction, theme extraction, summarization
- Target industries: Enterprise Search, Hospitality, Market Research, Media, eDiscovery, CRM, Social Media Monitoring
- Product: TokuDB brings massive data processing and analysis capabilities to heretofore neglected MySQL. It’s a drop-in replacement for InnoDV that extends the capacity of MySQL databases from GBs to TBs.
- Founders: Michael A. Bender, Martín Farach-Colton (ln), Bradley C. Kuszmaul
- Technologies used: MySQL, MVCC, ACID, Fractal Tree™ indexing
- Target industries: Online Advertising, eCommerce, Social Networking, Mobile Solutions, ePublishing
- Product: Cloudant offers hosting, monitoring and support for CouchDB. They also distribute and maintain BigCouch, an open source fork of CouchDB..
- Founders: Alan Hoffman (ln | t), Adam Kocoloski (gh | t), and Michael Miller (ln | t)
- Technologies used: CouchDB, JSON, MapReduce
- Target Industries: Online advertising, Search, ePublishing