Big Data, or the technologies, languages, databases and platforms used to efficiently store, analyze and extract conclusions from massive data sets, is a Big Trend right now. Why? In a nutshell, because a) we are generating ever increasing amounts of data, and b) we keep learning faster, easier and more accurate ways of handling and extracting business value from it. On Wall Street, some investment banks and hedgefunds are incorporating sentiment analysis of web documents into their trading strategies. In healthcare, companies like WellPoint, Explorys and Apixio are using distributed computing to mine health records, practice guidelines, studies and medical/service costs to more accurately and affordably insure, diagnose and treat patients. Unsurprisingly, Silicon Valley is big data’s epicenter, but Boston, long a bastion of Life Sciences, Healthcare, High Tech and Higher Ed, is becoming an important player, particularly in the storage and analytics arenas. This series aims to spotlight some of the current and future game changers. These companies differ in growth stages, target markets and revenue models, but converge around their belief that the data is the castle, and their tools the keys.
- Product: Recorded Future is an API that scans, analyzes and visualizes the sentiment and momentum of specified references in publically available web documents (news sites, blogs, govt. sites, social media sites etc)
- Founder/CEO: Christopher Ahlberg
- Technologies used: JSON, real-time data feeds, predictive modeling, sentiment analysis
- Target Industries: Financial Services, Competitive Intelligence, Defense Intelligence
- Located: Cambridge, MA
- Product: The Hadapt Adaptive Analytical Platform is a single system for processing, querying and analyzing both structured and unstructured data. The platform doesn’t need connectors, and supports SQL queries.
- Founders: Justin Borgman (CEO); Dr. Daniel Abadi (Chief Scientist)
- Technologies used: Hadoop, SQL, Adaptive Query Execution™
- Target Industries: Financial Services, Healthcare, Telecom, Government
- Product: Riak is an open-source distributed database that allows its users to customize consistency and fault-tolerance.
- Founders: Antony Falco (COO), Don Rippert (CEO)
- Technologies used: Multi-node clustering, MapReduce, full-text search, muklti-site replication
- Target industries: Internet Media, E-Commerce, Social Enterprise
- Product: A search engine for would-be travelers
- Founder/CEO: Frédéric Lalonde
- Technologies used: Machine learning (TF-IDF), NoSQL, analytics
- Target industries: Consumer
- Product: Ginger.io is a behavioral analytic platform that uses mobile phone sensor data to predict patient and population behavior changes and trends.
- Founder/CEO: Anmol Madan
- Technologies used: Machine learning, mobile phone sensor data, data mining
- Target industries: Healthcare, Consumer
Next week: numbers 6-10. Got an opinion on who to include? Let me know in the comments!